Tuesday, November 6, 2018

Why I support Tooting

To make up for there being no blog during the weekend, I'm doing one now to talk about why I support Tooting And Mitcham.

So when I was a little toddler I had no interest in football. I was screaming "turn it off" during the 2006 Fa cup final between Liverpool and West Ham when it was on tv. I also said when I was little, "I'm going to break the football". Little did I know that a few years later it would be the thing I love the most.

My main passion was buses. I forced Hackbridge Harry to come on buses with me every Saturday. We probably went on 10 buses every Saturday. It was like that every year until I was 6 years old. Than it all changed.

One day Hackbridge Harry took me to my first Football match. It was an AFC Wimbledon vs Arsenal pre season friendly. During the game I was concerned with players fell over thinking that they hurt themself. I couldn't wait to get out the ground and get on a bus.

One morning, I was messing around in my house. Hackbridge Harry took me out of the house to go football. I thought we were going to watch Arsenal but instead we were going to watch someone else, Their Name, Tooting And Mitcham United. I walked into the ground, which later become my second home, and it was love at first sight. Tooting And Mitcham were playing Wingate And Finchley in the Ryman premier league. It was a 1-1 draw.

In my first few Tooting games I was more interested in the buses going past outside the ground. On a matchday we used to go to a kebab shop in Mitcham and order chips. We walked to the ground and ate our chips on the BogEnd. I soon started getting into it. The first season I supported Tooting was the 2011-12 season when we got Relegated. Hackbridge Harry asked me after every game if I still wanted to go as we kept on losing every week. I loved the club so much even though I had only been watching them for 1 season.

Ever since that 1-1 draw with Wingate And Finchley I have never looked back. I have seen them get relegated twice, promoted once, win a cup final and lose a cup final. It's been very eventful and I couldn't imagine how I could live without Tooting And Mitcham.

No comments:

Post a Comment